Thursday, May 26, 2005

Fingers too fat? - via BBC News

Trials of ID cards have revealed problems with the scanning systems central to the project, it has emerged.

"Biometrics" such as fingerprints, iris images or face scans will be used for the cards but the trials found that not all people could use all the systems.

It was harder to scan the irises of black people and over-59s.

And some fingerprint scanners did not work with large fingers. Ministers say they were only "teething" problems and the technology is on track.
The best bit, though, is the quote at the end, from Minister Tony McNulty.
"These Orwellian pictures that are drawn up by some people miss the point entirely.

"The technology is moving in the right direction."
So, you're basically saying that social questions are irrelevant because the technology works.

Erm, no Tony. I think it is you who has missed the point entirely. The point is that it is unnecessary and expensive. And I don't want all my personal information stored on the same database. I want it kept in lots of different places, to make it harder to access.

No comments: