"Oh, maybe I shouldn't have said that."
I took AS Level Further Maths class with Julian many moons ago, and apparently Anna mentioned she'd seen me. So he asked for my number because he "wanted to wind someone up". Armed with this new knowledge, I naturally asked Anna not to mention that I know it was him who'd been texting me.
As soon as I was on the train, then, I started to think about my next reply. And here it was:
"I'll get back to you on that one. How are you holding up? Still sore after the op? Home now - new prosthetic works a treat - you'd barely notice. Chat later."Yes, it was childish. Yes, it was probably highly offensive, but I was confident that Julian would not take it personally, and I'm still hoping that that is so. I waited nearly another 24 hours before sending the next one-word message:
"Confused?"A couple of hours later came:
"Yeah, do you know who this is?"Sensing that my timing was probably already way off, I come clean, assured him that I hadn't really lost a limb, and offered to buy him a pint next time he's in Exeter. Maybe Anna was right when she suggested we shouldn't pick on each other. I still haven't got a reply.
No comments:
Post a Comment