Read an article at my parents' this morning in last week's Sunday Telegraph Magazine, about Roald Dahl, by his daughter Ophelia. I was always a big Roald Dahl fan when I was little, and find his determination that becoming an adult is not about becoming very serious hits a chord with me.
Coming back through Exeter this morning, the Friends of Exeter Cathedral School were holding their summer fete on the green, and I had a little look aorund the book stall. I couldn't help but notice how with very few exceptions, the "adult" books were very boring and serious indeed, and not in the least bit tempting to me. The children's books on the other hand, seemed much more colourful and lively, and just fun.
There were a few characters there whom I'd forgotten about as well: for instance, Mrs Pepperpot (she can't decide when to become four inches tall, it just happens). Brilliant. Adults (and by that I mean boring people) just don't use their imaginations enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment