Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Sex slavery - The Nigerian women lured to Italy to work as prostitutes - BBC News

Valentina's story is typical. An old friend offered to bring her to Italy.

"He said finding work here was no problem, there were lots of different jobs I could do like working in a supermarket. I'd even be able to continue my studies," she said.

"I'd just finished secondary school, but it's very difficult to go to university in Nigeria. It's very expensive."

Promises of good jobs and education lure women like Valentina away from Nigeria.

Sounds very similar to the children lured to work as housegirls in Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania. They are made very similar promises. So many of these people are desperate for a better life not only for themselves but for their families - often the promises they are made include having enough money to send home. It's sickening that anyone could take advantage of them so coldly.

No comments: